Home > Singapore
Singapore Condemns Attack on Istanbul Night Club
Medics carry a wounded person at the scene after an attack at a popular nightclub in Istanbul, early Sunday, Jan. 1, 2017. Istanbul Governor Vasip Sahin said that an armed assailant has opened fire at a nightclub in Istanbul during New Year's celebrations. Turkish authorities have banned distribution of images relating to the Istanbul attack within Turkey. | PHOTO: IHA via AP
January 2nd, 2017 | 08:41 AM | 1006 views
Singapore has condemned the attack at the Reina Club in the Ortakoy district of Istanbul, Turkey, on New Year’s Eve that resulted in nearly 40 people dead and close to 70 others injured.
“We extend our deepest condolences to the bereaved families and wish those injured a speedy recovery,” the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) said in a statement on Sunday (Jan 1).
So far, 15 or 16 of the 39 people killed when a gunman attacked the Istanbul nightclub were foreigners, but only 21 of the bodies have so far been identified, Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said.
The MFA said that it has reached out to Singaporeans who are e-registered in Istanbul. “The Singapore Embassy in Ankara is also in close contact with the local Turkish authorities on this incident. Thus far, there are no reports of any Singaporeans directly affected or injured by the incident,” the ministry added.
The ministry also advised Singaporeans in Turkey “to exercise vigilance”. “They should also monitor the local news and follow the instructions of the Turkish authorities. They are also advised to keep in touch with their family and friends so that they know you are safe,” it added.
courtesy of TODAY
If you have any stories or news that you would like to share with the global online community, please feel free to share it with us by contacting us directly at [email protected]