Home > Just In
Joint Statement of the Foreign Ministers of ASEAN Member States on the Maintenance of Peace, Security, and Stability in the Region
July 26th, 2016 | 07:47 AM | 24824 views
We, the Foreign Ministers of ASEAN Member States, reiterate ASEAN’s shared commitments to:
1. Ensure that Southeast Asia and its surroundings remain a peaceful, stable and secure region;
2. Promote mutually beneficial relations to maintain peace, security and stability, and prosperity with nations in the region and the global community of nations;
3. Continue upholding the Charter of United Nations, ASEAN Charter, and the Treaty of Amity and Cooperation in Southeast Asia; as well as purposes and principles contained in the Zone of Peace, Freedom and Neutrality Declaration and the Declaration of the East Asia Summit on the Principles for Mutually Beneficial Relations; which shall serve as the basic norms governing friendly relations and cooperation among states;
4. Reaffirm ASEAN’s common position in the Joint Communiqué of the 49th ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting;
5. Exercise self-restraint and refrain from activities that might raise tension in the region; and 6. enhance our unity, solidarity and centrality and call on other states to respect ASEAN’s norms and principles.
by Romeo Arca Jr.
If you have any stories or news that you would like to share with the global online community, please feel free to share it with us by contacting us directly at [email protected]