• Today: November 29, 2025

Hamas agrees to latest Gaza ceasefire proposal, source in group says

Hamas has agreed to the latest proposal from regional mediators for a Gaza ceasefire and hostage release deal with Israel, a source in the Palestinian armed group has told the BBC.

The proposal from Egypt and Qatar is said to be based on a two-stage framework put forward by US envoy Steve Witkoff in June.

It would see Hamas free around half of the 50 remaining Israeli hostages - 20 of whom are believed to be alive - in two batches during an initial 60-day truce. There would also be negotiations on a permanent ceasefire.

It is unclear what Israel's response will be, as Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office has said it will now only accept a deal if "all the hostages are released in one go".

 

In a video released after the reports of Hamas's approval emerged, Netanyahu did not comment directly but said he got the impression that the group was "under immense pressure".

Later this week, his cabinet is expected to approve the Israeli military's plan to occupy Gaza City, where intensifying Israeli strikes have prompted thousands of Palestinians to flee.

The prime minister announced Israel's intention to widen its offensive and conquer all of Gaza - including the areas where most of its two million residents have sought refuge - after indirect talks with Hamas on a ceasefire deal broke down last month.

 

SOURCE/AUTHOR : David Gritten BBC News

Venues

Comments (0)

No comments yet. Be the first to comment!

Leave a Comment

Total visitors: 3,720,794 | Today's visitors: 20,408
Updated: 20:31:03